Here are some of my best practices when activating lines using the Connectivity API. What are yours?
As of Sep 22, 2017 the requirements to complete an activation using the API are:
- Device ID. ESN or MEID for 3G. IMEI for 4G.
- SIM ID (ICCID) for a 4G device only.
- Service Plan Code.
- Zip Code.
- Do not change the zip code provided by your account team. The zip code affects numerous systems.
- Pull your service plans first. Be sure you have the correct plan. It is the "code" that is required.
- Account Number (name) may not required if you have only one account, as the system will default to it.
However if you ever have more than one account number (name) the activations will fail without it. Best practice is to code it in now.
- IP Pool Group is not required if you only have one IP Pool Group, as the system will default to it.
However if you ever have more than one IP Pool Group (such as dynamic and static) then activations can fail if you do not specify an IP Pool Group. Best practice is to code it in now.
- Grouping your lines is not required. The system will default to adding each device to the default group. However multiple groups are useful when searching for lines, running reports, and especially when setting up usage notifications. Going back later to modify all the lines/groups can add extra work. Best practice is to code it in now.